Monday, March 14, 2016

Super food fad - Bone broth anyone?

Yes, I am that girl posting about bone broth and No, I am not ashamed of this. I have heard about bone broth years ago but somehow just started to jump on the bandwagon.. It has recently dubbed as of the top super foods trend! But what is funny about it is this trend has been around for hundred of years...People just may not have been aware of how good bone broth actually was although it has been around for centuries..
Even then, in my younger years, i could recall my granny boiling herbal chicken soup and has been forcing it down my throat.. it has been highly proclaimed as a nourishing tonic soup to maintain good health..
So here it goes.. Broth is essentially stock that has simmered for quite a bit longer (at least for 24 hours), which means that all of the vitamins and nutrients are released from the bones and all of these go right into your tummy! 
I actually started making bone broth from scratch a little over a week ago in my slow cooker. The slow cooker has been tucked away in my cabinet for at least a year now and finally i decided that make it to good use... I've now started to make mass quantities of bone broth where I leave some out to sip on daily and freeze the rest to use as stock in soups and other recipes. The best part about it is that the only real ingredient you need are animal bones. So whenever I’m cooking chicken I always keep the bones and FREEZE THEM. Then when I’m ready to make broth, I throw them in the slow cooker with water and 24 hours later I have pure, healthy deliciousness.. Since i am not a beef eater, i may actually experiment making broth out of beef bones.. not too sure how it will taste though..
I like to improvise when i cook sometimes and decided to throw in some veggies for flavor, but that so isn’t necessary if you don’t have them on hand or if you plan to just use it in other recipes. 
If i have not managed to catch your attention on why you need bone broth in your life, please allow me to show some of its magical qualities. Most of its benefits come from the bone’s protein (mainly collagen which becomes gelatin when cooked) which promotes:
-strong bones i.e. helps prevent osteoporosis and arthritis
-muscle repair and growth
-strong hair and nails
-clear, healthy skin 
-improved digestion
-immune health aka your grandmother’s soup wasn’t just a hoax
Aside from its potential to transform the health of your bones and gut, and anti-age you, it is inexpensive, easy and tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment